Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Cops add insult to former bureaucrat’s injury


He is a retired special deputy commissioner who has been a PA to several ministers, including former state home minister Mallikarjuna Kharge. But none of that apparently made the wheels of justice turn faster for him. Seventytwo-year-old K Narasimhaiah had to wait nearly a month before his complaint of assault and cheating was registered at the jurisdictional police station.

The former KAS officer blames Vijaynagar police inspector Jagannath Rai for refusing to register his complaint on March 30, the day of the incident. He had to make several visits to the police station before his complaint was finally registered in the last week of April.

Speaking to Bangalore Mirror, Narasimhaiah remarked,”If this is the kind of harassment meted out to a retired KAS officer who has served as PA to ministers like Mallikarjuna Kharge and K H Ranganath, what about the common man who approaches the police for justice?”

According to him, N U Paramesh, a businessman and resident of Vijaynagar, came to his house on March 30. An argument ensued between the two over an amount of Rs 5.50 lakh. “Paramesh attacked me and I suffered a fracture on my left hand. With the broken hand, I rushed to the police station. But despite being a senior citizen, I was made to wait and the inspector refused to register my complaint, asking for proof,” Narasimhaiah said.

“As my children stay elsewhere and I am alone and am also a cardiac patient, I was not in a position to visit the police station the next day. After a few days, I went there but was rebuffed again. Only at the fourth attempt, when I showed them the medical certificate about my fractured hand, the inspector registered the complaint. I could have dropped names or brought influence to bear, but did not do so,” he said.

According to Narasimhaiah, he was approached by Paramesh and his wife in September last year. “The couple gave references of people known to me and I loaned them Rs 4 lakh. They gave me a post-dated cheque for Rs 4 lakh. On Oct 5, they approached me and requested an extension of two months for repayment. Subsequently, they kept delaying with the repayment,”he said.

Narasimhaiah said he was looking for accommodation for his daughter and son-in-law who are to return from abroad. “Hearing of my requirement, Paramesh volunteered to lease out a portion of his building for Rs 5.50 lakh. Taking the Rs 4 lakh owed by him into account, he asked for another Rs 1.50 lakh. After the money was arranged, a lease agreement was made out,” he said.

“On March 30, he came to my house. When the agreement was placed before him for his signature, he turned violent, saying he would not lease out his premises. He assaulted me when I demanded all my money back,” he said.

When contacted, Vijaynagar police inspector Jagannath Rai said he was unaware of the complaint. “A lot of people come to the police station everyday and it is not possible to remember each case,” he said.



http://bangaloremirror.com/article/10/20100511201005110530491569e482c5e/Cops-add-insult-to-former-bureaucrat%E2%80%99s-injury.html



No comments:

Post a Comment